Fundamental duties were not part of original constitution. They were inserted into constitution of India by forty second(42nd) amendment in 1976 during emergency. There were 11 fundamental duties prescribed during insertion. The twelfth fundamental duty was added by 86th amendment act in 2002.
Article 51A, Fundamental Duties Article
Article 51A of indian constitution
- It shall be the duty of every citizen of India -
- 1[to abide by the Constitution and respect its ideals and institutions, the National Flag and the National Anthem;
- to cherish and follow the noble ideals which inspired our national struggle for freedom;
- to uphold and protect the sovereignty, unity and integrity of India;
- encourage settlement of international disputes by arbitration.
- to defend the country and render national service when called upon to do so;
- to promote harmony and the spirit of common brotherhood amongst all the people of India transcending religious, linguistic and regional or sectional diversities; to renounce practices derogatory to the dignity of women;
- to value and preserve the rich heritage of our composite culture;
- to protect and improve the natural environment including forests, lakes, rivers and wild life, and to have compassion for living creatures;
- to develop the scientific temper, humanism and the spirit of inquiry and reform;
- to safeguard public property and to abjure violence;
- to strive towards excellence in all spheres of individual and collective activity so that the nation constantly rises to higher levels of endeavour and achievement; ]
- 2[who is a parent or guardian to provide opportunities for education to his child or, as the case may be, ward between the age of six and fourteen years.]
- Ins. by the Constitution (Forty-second Amendment) Act, 1976, s. 11 (w.e.f. 3-1-1977).
- Ins. by the Constitution (Eighty-sixth Amendment) Act, 2002, s. 4 (w.e.f. 1-4-2010).
Fundamental Right and Duties MCQs
|Which fundamental rights cannot be suspended even during an emergency?||Right to Life and Personal Liberty|
|Which of the following Article of the Indian Constitution contains Fundamental Duties?||51 A|
|The Fundamental Duties are mentioned in||The Fundamental Duties of citizens are mentioned in Part-IV A of the Indian Constitution.|
|The committee which suggested incorporating Fundamental Duties in the Indian Constitution?||Swaran Singh Committee|
|In which part of the Indian Constitution, the Fundamental Rights are provided?||Part III|
|The Fundamental Duties were included in the Constitution of India by which of the following Amendment Act?||Fundamental Duties were incorporated in the Indian Constitution by the Constitution (Forty-Second Amendment) Act, 1976.|
All articles of Indian constitution